A recovery point is created as the result of data replication. The first recovery point is called an initial replica because it is performed only one time as long as the storage medium is not replaced.
In a Virtual Full Backup each recovery point is comprised of many Deltas. A Delta represents the state of a disk volume block at a particular point in time. Each Delta can be used by one or more Recovery Point. The relationship between Deltas and Recovery Points is maintained by the Disk Safe.
A Recovery Point appears like a Full backup to the user. That is only in appearance as each Recovery Point only contains block level Deltas or changes since the last Synchronization. In other words, a Recovery Point is a point-in-time virtual full backup of the Manage devices (or selected files/folders on Devices).
The Recovery Point Retention is defined in the Policy properties. The Retention rules define how many Recovery Points to keep in the Disk Safe. Old Recovery Points are merged automatically.
Recovery Point properties:
- Mount Point
- Last Device Path
- Content Type
- File System Properties
- Synchronization Details
See descriptions in Access recovery points.
The following actions are available for the Recovery Points:
- Delete (merge)
You can limit the number of Recovery Points stored in the Disk Safes assigned to the Volume. Read more in Create volumes.
- Understand the replication stages — The description of the replication stages and types in Server Backup Manager.
- Access recovery points
- Browse recovery points — Instructions on how to browse files and folders in recovery points in Server Backup Manager.
- Merge recovery points — Instructions on how to delete or merge recovery points in Server Backup Manager.
- Lock recovery points — Instructions on how to lock recovery points in Server Backup Manager.
- Export files from a recovery point — Instructions on how to restore or export data from recovery points in Server Backup Manager.
- Schedule recovery point merges — Instructions on how to schedule the Recovery Points Merge.
- Backup schedule and recovery point retention policy